In the previous lessons, we went through “How to Configure Display Options” and “How to Manage Inventory in WooCommerce”, but other than physical products, you may also want to concern and sell virtual ones that are called Downloadable products.
WooCommerce Downloadable products are digital goods sold on WooCommerce Store. They can be webinars, video tutorials, e-books, planners; downloadable music, software, mobile apps, online games; fonts, graphics, templates, themes, photos, web graphics, labels, patterns, clip arts, desktop backgrounds or wallpaper and so much more.
The purpose of these products is helping customers purchase products immediately by downloading via websites. So today, we will discuss how to set up Downloadable products in WooCommerce.
Setting up Downloadable Products option
First of all, of course, you have to login into the wp-admin area of your WooCommerce store.
And then to navigate to WooCommerce > Settings > Products > Downloadable products.
Then few options that you need to configure will appear:
File Download Method – In the File Download Method, you can choose one of the following download methods:
- Force Downloads – Files are downloaded through a PHP script. So only your customer can download the product, prevent sharing and illegal downloading from third parties.
- X-Accel-Redirect / X-Sendfile – To use this method, your serve service has to support mod_xsendfile). This option allows you to send heavier files in a safe way.
- Redirect Only – Files are downloaded through a direct link via the website. This is the simplest but least safe way, because afterward, your files can then be widely shared with others.
- Download requires login – Use this option if you want your customers can download only when they have accounts on your online shop.
- Grant Access to Downloadable Products after payment – This option allows your customers can downloadable products before the order has been completed.
After you completing all the settings, please press Save Changes button to actually save the changes and finalize the configuration.
Setting a WooCommerce Downloadable Product
Next, we would like to show you how to configure a Downloadable product.
Step 1: First, go to Products > Products.
Then select one product on the product list, and click Edit.
Step 2: The Edit Product page will appear. Scrolling down and finding the Product Data metabox, then select Simple product option from the Product type drop-down list.
Step 3: After choosing Simple product option, you can see Downloadable option on the right, select it.
Step 4: Then under the General tab, you will find the Downloadable Files option where you can upload the files or link to the File URL which should be available for download for a particular product. After uploading or linking to File URL, press Add File.
Step 5: On the same tab, you can find more options for the Downloadable products:
- Download Limit – a number of downloads the product is available. (Leave blank for unlimited re-downloads)
- Download Expiry – Enter the number of days a download link will expire, you can also leave blank.
- Download Type – Choose the type of a downloadable product
Step 6: When you finish all the changes, don’t forget to move to the Publish section in the right-hand sidebar and press Update in order to all the information can be saved.
Congratulations! You’ve just set your downloadable products and completed all the lessons about general products configuration. If you have any question or any suggestion, don’t hesitate to notify us by leaving a few lines in the comment section below.