In the previous post, You had been guided how to Create A New Category In WooCommerce; Therefore, in this post, I’ll introduce to you how to Translate WooCommerce plugin. There are several ways to translate this plugin; However, I prefer translating WooCommerce plugin with PoEdit due to it is rather simple and saving your time.
PoEdit is a shareware and cross-platform gettext catalog (.po file) editor to aid in the process of language localization. In detail, It is written in C++ and depends on some subclasses from the wxWidgets, but utilizes graphical control elements from the GTK+ library.
Since 2001, PoEdit was established and supports all commonly used operating systems such as Window, Linux, Mac OS, Unix, this tool will help you convert the language from .po file into .mo files contains translated the language.
- Support translate file .po for many programming languages such as PHP, C#, Java
- Comments editing.
- UTF-8 support. Poedit understands all encodings supported by the operating system and works in Unicode internally.
- Quick searching keywords
- Supports scanning source code and automatically updates new keywords to string translation.
- Fuzzy and untranslated records are highlighted and displayed at the top of the list.
Translate WooCommerce Plugin
- Step 1:
- Access to this link to download the latest version
- After installing PoEdit in your PC, Click on File >>> Preferences
- Click on “Change UI language” to choose the PoEdit’s language. It’s up to you to choose the language. Now I choose “Use default language” to use this PoEdit in English.
- Step 2:
- Open Poedit and select File >>> New Catalog from POT / PO file
- Select the .pot file or the .po file from the plugin you want to translate (you can find the files in the wp-content/themes/your-theme/language/ folder).
- A box will pop up asking for languages of the translation. Select your language:
- Click OK and PoEdit will name automatically your file. If you select Vietnamese (VietNam) : vi_VN.po
- Now you can start translating your plugin. The space at the top will display all the text ready to translate, and any completed translations will display to the right. The boxes underneath show the Source text and your Translation. Select a word or phrase, enter your translation and click “Validate”.
- Step 3:
- After saving your translation as .po file, you also need to save as .mo file in order to be read by WooCommerce system. Set your Poedit to always automatically generate a .mo file by clicking File >> Preferences to open up a preferences box , on the Editor tab, check the “Automatically compile .mo file” :
- Change the language in the admin settings screen by navigating to Settings > General > Site Language.
Save all changes
Now you can translate WooCommerce plugin by yourself, it is totally easy to translate all the text with the support tool – PoEdit.
In the next article, I will take you through some manipulations to Create Coupons for WooCommerce.