After the end of the previous article, you have been shown how to Install WooCommerce Plugin. However, everything is just the beginning, there are many other things that you need to know if you want to use WooCommerce Plugin fluently.
It could be said that this Plugin is a tool that supports a full range of functions is essential for an online sales site, but it’s quite difficult to use and take advantage of all features on your website.
In this “Initial Setup for WooCommerce Plugin” lesson, you will learn how to set up in all the tabs in the “Settings” menu, here are the important settings and necessary, if you want your website to live well with WooCommerce.
Hover to “WooCommerce” >>> Click on “Settings”
This is an important tab so you have to pay attention and follow, otherwise, your site will suffer some basic errors such as false currency, the monetary position shown, if you initially take time and hard to configure, you will not make any mistake.
In this setup tab, we will have 9 functions to customize as follows.
- Base Location: Country of your website (Vietnam)
- Selling Location(s): Choose to sell to all countries or to specific countries. You can choose multiple specific countries or states., one is to sell the entire nation around the world, while the second option is that you can specify the countries are allowed to purchase from your website.
- Default Customer Location: Choose to sell to all countries or to specific countries. You can choose multiple specific countries or states.
- Shop base address: tells the system to assume they are in the same location as your shop.
- No address: gives them no location, and no taxes are calculated.
- Geolocate address: verifies where their current location and calculate taxes accordingly.
- Geolocate: with page caching support is the same as above, but does the geolocation via Ajax. You may notice your website URLs have a ?v=xxxxx appended to them. This is normal to prevent static caching of prices.
- Enable Taxes: Enable or disable taxes on your store. Disabling hides tax settings.
- Store Notice: This section allows you to post a notice on the website with content is text, for example when you maintain the website, you can use this function.
- Currency: Choose the default currency for the store, you should choose Vietnam dong.
- Currency position: Currency will display left or right and there is a separator or not.
- Thousand Separator: Choose the symbol to use for the thousand separator: 1,000 or 1.000
- Decimal Separator: Choose the symbol to use for the decimal separator: 100.00 or 100,00.
- Number of Decimals: Set the decimal units shown on the price, the default is No. 2.
It is just only the first tab that has many settings that you need to know how to declare and know, next we will go to find out the settings of the Products tab.
In general, this tab related to the products that you post on the website, look at the picture first and see whether it stands out from the first tab or not.
In this tab, you will see in addition to the General tab there are 3 more tabs remaining as Display tab, warehouse inventory, the product can be downloaded, now I’ll show you all the functions within the tab.
- Weight Unit: weight unit products on your website are calculated by, kg, g, lbs, oz, normally only select g or kg
- Dimensions Unit: Dimensions of products are available in what unit? cm, m … etc.
- Product Ratings: This section there are 4 checkboxes, which you probably know how to choose, without my explanation.
- Shop Page: Select what page you want to be the default shop page. Need not be the Shop page that WooCommerce installed, or can be skipped if you use another method to display products.
- Shop page display: Choose to show products, subcategories or both.
- Default category display: Choose to show products, subcategories or both.
- Default Product Sorting: Select to sort products by:
- Default product sorting (custom ordering + name)
- Average rating
- Most recent
- Price (ascending/descending)
- Add to cart behavior:
- Redirect to cart page after successful addition – Automatically takes the customer to the cart page upon adding a product.
- Enable Ajax add to cart buttons on archives – Adds the ‘Add to Cart’ option to shop archive pages.
- Product Images: This section is fairly clear, so I will not explain.
This section is a set of functions related to inventory.
- Manage Stock: If you want to have the inventory management function, then check the box as in the picture.
- Hold Stock (minutes): Hold products (for unpaid orders) for X minutes. When the limit is reached, the pending order is canceled. Leave blank to disable.
- Notifications: Enable / disable notifications when the products are low stock and out of stock
- Notification Recipient(s): Fill in the email you want to receive notifications when going out of stock, it may be your email for example.
- Low Stock Threshold: Number of products to trigger low stock notifications.
- Out Of Stock Threshold: Number of products to trigger out of stock status.
- Out Of Stock Visibility: Choose to hide out of stock items from the catalog.
- Stock Display Format: This section is fairly clear without my explanation.
This section allows customers downloading the product or not, download section can be manual, images, catalogs or any attachments you’ve signed up.
- File Download Method: Controls how your store provides downloadable files to purchasers.
- Force Downloads – Files are ‘forced’ to download via a PHP script. Files are not accessible to anyone but purchasers, and direct links are hidden.
- X-Accel-Redirect/X-Sendfile – Similar to ‘forced’ above, but it has better performance and can support larger files. It requires that your hosting provider supports either X-Sendfile or X-Accel-Redirect, so you need to check with them first.
- Redirect only – A download URL links the user to the file. Files are not protected from outside access.
- Access Restriction
- Select if downloads require login – Does not apply to guest purchases.
- Grant access to downloadable products after payment – Enable to grant access to downloads when orders are Processing, rather than Completed.
The main shipping settings screen is for Shipping Zones. Think of a shipping zone as a geographic region where a certain set of shipping methods and their rates apply.
- Enable the shipping calculator on the cart page
- Hide shipping costs until an address is entered
- Shipping Destination: Ship to billing address by default or only ship to the user’s billing address.
This is an important tab and these tabs will be the place to set up some information on payment method.
- Coupons: Select to activate for customers to use coupons or not (discount code).
- Checkout Process:
- Enable guest checkout – Allows customers to check out without creating an account.
- Force secure checkout – Force SSL (HTTPS) on the checkout pages. An SSL Certificate is required if selected.
- Checkout Pages: Establish the URL (link) relating to the page such as the cart, checkout, and the third page is from self-created and selected.
- Checkout Endpoints: Like the above list is the set of the URL (links) related to the checkout page such as order-pay, order-received, add-payment-method.
- Payment Gateways: The display order of payment gateway, you can click on the settings menu to go to the individual configuration of the payment gateway.
The other links Menu such as BACS, Check Payments, Paypal, Cash on Delivery are configurations for each payment gateway, you can set depending on your demands, this section is carefully translated fairly good.
This Tab has functions related to the Account page only.
- Account Pages: Select page as your account page.
- Enable Registration: Selecting the appropriate settings for your site, create an account set from email of customers
- My Account Endpoints: This section is a place to set the URL (path) of the page related to your account page, such as view orders, account edit, edit address ..etc.
Besides, the other tabs, you can find out by yourself, because I just have able to show you how to configure some important tabs only, it is very time-consuming to present all the tabs.
Hopefully, with all WooCommerce plugin configuration lesson, you have already known how to set up a number of important tabs for your website performs better. In the next post, I’ll take you through some other important manipulations to Create a new category in WooCommerce.